Re: Datafiles on NFS mount

From: John Kanagaraj <JKanagaraj_at_mfi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:20:37 -0700

> Is Oracle 8.1.6 capable of creating and using a datafile
> on an NFS-mounted disk on another machine? We have two
> Sun machines (OS block size is 8k on both); the machine running
> Oracle is short on disk, while there is plenty available on the
> second machine. We are planning to purchase another larger machine,
> but in the meantime would like to get by for a short period without
> investing more in the present machines. We are not using hot backups
> (it's a small datawarehouse). What problems occur when either of the
> machines is rebooted?

Hi Bill,

AFAIK, Oracle does NOT support NFS based datafiles. My understanding is that this is because there is no guarantee that the write request made to the local OS is complete when the remote OS is the one that performs it. The local OS returns a positive signal once the request is acknowledged, but not necessarily completed by the remote OS. I wouldn't do it - and Oracle will not support it... Received on Tue Oct 24 2000 - 14:20:37 CDT