Re: Urgent! Online redo log files corruption

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:12:29 -0500

There aren't internal logs kept of a DBA's actions, as such. When I attended the Oracle Internals, Backup and Recovery, Dumps, Traces seminars a few months ago I mentioned to my instructor, one of two qualified by Oracle to teach the seminars in the U.S., about deleting from obj$ and other tables because Oracle refused to drop a certain table, no matter what I did, in a development database. I really needed to have a table of that structure in that schema with that name, and Oracle refused to let me create another one, saying it already existed, but did not let me use the one that was already there.

My instructor told me that when I deleted from the data dictionary, I made the database unsupported. Further, that Oracle does idiot checks, looking for and recording inconsistencies like the one my delete surely created. If changes to the data dictionary are not done via recursive sql, things get out of whack and this can be detected. In the backup/recovery seminar he mentioned that opening the database with hidden parameters was allowed but recorded. Not to get the goods on the DBA or his/her company, but to be able to explain, later, why inconsistencies have surfaced.

This instructor appeared to be an honorable man and not the type to blow smoke or make DBAs paranoid of Oracle Support. Whenever we pointed out that he was wrong, that you could create a database with a locally managed system tablespace in Oracle 8i, for example (Oracle says so), he told us he knew one could not: he and the other instructors had tried it, received an error.

I have had only Silver support for the past so many years, and the US has a booming economy. Oracle has trouble hiring and keeping good people just like every other company, including mine. Been almost to tears, now and again, frustrated with the clueslessness of the Oracle Support person taking my call. But I've also been blown away by the brilliance and vast knowledge of the Oracle Support person taking my call.

Yes, the license is just a piece of paper. You can do anything you want with the database. But Oracle Support is a different matter. Just because you pay for it doesn't mean Oracle has to bail you out if you do something they tell you not to do. I'd expect Oracle to log certain things in the database, if just for legal reasons. A few years ago someone sued MacDonalds for $millions because they were given, in a drive in, an overly hot cup of coffee, which burned them when they took a sip. The person dropped the coffee, burning parts of their body. I feel the lawsuit and award were justified, as there are often very few other ways to get big companies to act sensibly. Now what if you lost a critical database and decided to sue Oracle blaming them for making a shoddy product? If I were Oracle, I'd record certain events like opening the database with hidden, unsupported parameters. ----- Original Message -----
From: Shevtsov Eduard <eshevtsov_at_flagship.ru> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2000 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: Urgent! Online redo log files corruption