Re: What is usually expected of a DBA

From: Allan Nelson <anelson_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:42:21 -0500

  1. Logical and physical design of databases
  2. Database startup and shutdown
  3. Log monitoring incluing Alert logs and dump destinations
  4. Performance Tuning of Queries
  5. Managing storage
  6. Performance tuning of the SGA
  7. Database backups, recoveries, disaster recovery
  8. Capacity planning (When will you need more disk, cpu, memory....OPS etc)
  9. SQL Net/ Net8 configuration and management including Oracle Names but not DNS
  10. Primary liason to Oracle support for problem (TAR) resolution.

Just a quick, off the top of my head list. Not intended to exhaustively delineate DBA tasks.

Allan