Re:Mainframe-class

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:23:48 -0400

Nosie,

    After 8 years of having those old reliable boulders in the computer room, I can very happily recommend HP's 9000 series of computers with HP-UX, any flavor you like, and EMC's Symetrix disk arrays. I call them "boulders" because that's just how they act, they just sit there doing their jobs 24x7x52 without so much as an uncontrolled burb. I'd say that the latest series on L & N class machines are really good with their built-in "soft fail" and total hot-swap capability. Also, in HP's case where it's an extra, go with Predictive Support. They add a software package onto the machine that snoops around looking for trouble & then calls home. It's kind of nice having your support guy call from the front desk with a spare part in hand, before you even notice a problem.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Mainframe-class
Author: "Nosie" <tekait11_at_bni.co.id>
Date: 10/12/00 9:45 PM

Dear All,

My team is writing a proposal for our huge core system using Oracle database. We already consider IBM mainframe S/390 as an alternative and we are now looking for another alternative using UNIX env. Can anybody inform or recommend me the largest, most-powerful, stable unix machine where Oracle can run on?

Thank you in advance.

Nosie

Author: Nosie
  INET: tekait11_at_bni.co.id

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Oct 16 2000 - 08:23:48 CDT