Re: Mainframe-class

From: <Frank.Dodgers_at_janus.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:57:41 -0600

My order of preference:

SUN E-10000 (SMP)
HP V-Class (SMP)
IBM SP-2 RS6000 (MPP) Stability is more dependent upon your SA and vendor support level. As, all of these provide stable computing environments when managed properly.

Any one of these is better than MVS OS-390 (opinion) and most certainly less expensive (fact) by potentially a large amount depending upon your requirements and present environment. The MPP (Massively Parallel Processor) box has highest performance potential but requires more system administration skill and tolerance for pain. The SMP (Symmetric Multi Processor) can come close to MPP performance with less system administration skills / headache.

Question: If you have legacy data to transition, is it on OS-390 today? If so, you may need to stay on OS-390 using Oracle (my preference over DB2) as a transitional step. One issue is access speed across an SNA gateway vs. memory-to-memory on the same hardware.

Check out TPC-C, TPC-D, etc. numbers on Gartner, too.

Frank

"Nosie" <tekait11_at_bni.co.id> on 10/12/2000 11:45:23 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Frank Dodgers/Janus)
Subject: Mainframe-class

Dear All,

My team is writing a proposal for our huge core system using Oracle database. We already consider IBM mainframe S/390 as an alternative and we are now looking for another alternative using UNIX env. Can anybody inform or recommend me the largest, most-powerful, stable unix machine where Oracle can run on?

Thank you in advance.

Nosie

Author: Nosie
  INET: tekait11_at_bni.co.id

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 13 2000 - 09:57:41 CDT