Re: Oracle database consistency checks

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

Other databases require and use these 'repair' utilities due to their strange architecture of locating the data dictionary in a database other than the one where the data is.

At least that's the way it was explained to me.

I'll know more after my Sybase classes next week.

Jared

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Koen Lefever wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some general questions on how Oracle manages consistency, in comparison to other RDBMSes.
>
> Other RDBMS systems have dedicated programs to check the consistency of the database
> (like oncheck for Informix or dbcc for Sybase) and sometimes tools to correct inconsistencies.
> I mean consistency on physical level: pointers between rows, pages, files, etc...
> I'm not aware of such a tool on Oracle.
>
> 1. Does Oracle perform such checks/repairs automatically?
> 2. Are there any Oracle or third party tools to perform such checks?
> 3. Do I need them? I've never had a "broken chain" or "corrupt page" on Oracle.
> Am I just lucky or is this an example of a superior architecture?
> 4. If such a problem would occur, what can I do except for a full restore?
>
> All links to web pages, books, trainings... where I can find more information on this are welcome.
>
> aTdHvAaNnKcSe & Best regards,
> Koen.
> Author: Koen Lefever
> INET: Koen.Lefever_at_dexia.be

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Tue Oct 10 2000 - 15:16:54 CDT