Cannot start web server

From: <achoto_at_american.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:25:16 -0400

Yesterday we applied a patch to our Oracle server that apparently has caused a problem that prevent us from starting the web server. I have been trying to get an Oracle Technician on the phone, I'm still holding. I have submitted a TAR and I'm still waiting too.

In addition to applying the patch we also installed WebDB, which caused the web application to stop working. Anyway we stopped WebDB and got rid of some public synonims as recommended by the technical analyst who was working with me. She said WebDB wouldn't work after that. Anyway, to make the patches effective we needed to reboot the server. This would've in turn start all listeners, but unfortunately the 'admin' listener for the web server fails to start with the message below when I try to start it with the command: owsctl start admin.

     Oracle Web Listener 3.0.1 Production (Export), Version 2.14FC1
     Copyright 1997 Oracle Corp.  All Rights Reserved.

     Information: Listening on NORM port 8888 address 0.0.0.0
     Cannot assign name to lock file!
     Error: Companion oraweb process failed
     OWS-08811: Unable to startup Oracle Web Listener `admin'.

We're on Sun Solaris 2.6, Oracle 8.0.5.2.1. The patch applied yesterday was 105210-32.

I was wondering if someone out there has had this problem before and how it was solved.

Thanks

Ana E. Choto
Systems Programmer
American University
Phone (202) 885-2275 Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 15:25:16 CDT