RE: Aarrrggghhh!!! Creating an index shouldn't be so hard!

From: Dennis Taylor <ismgr_at_pctc.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 07:28:48 -0700

Thanks for the pointer. However, in typical manual-speak, that's clear as mud. What does "derive values of SQL expressions" mean in this context, and what's the difference index-usage-wise between deriving a value and obtaining a value? Does that mean it just fails to perform the 'UPPER' ?

At 07:48 PM 10/4/00 -0400, you wrote:
>>From the SQL manual, the page on ALTER SESSION:
>
>"QUERY_REWRITE_ENABLED = { TRUE | FALSE }
> This parameter has the following additional effect on the use of
>function-based indexes:
>
>If this parameter is set to TRUE, Oracle will use function-based indexes to
>derive values of SQL expressions. If in addition the QUERY_REWRITE_INTEGRITY
>parameter is set to any value other than ENFORCED, Oracle will derive such
>values even if the index is based on a user-defined (rather than SQL)
>function.
>
> If this parameter is set to FALSE, Oracle will not use function-based
>indexes to derive values of SQL expressions, but it will use such indexes to
>obtain values of real columns in the index. "
>
>And it just requires compatibility of 8.1.0 or higher.
>
>HTH,
>Diana

---
Dennis Taylor
---
Don't worry about people stealing your ideas.  If your ideas