Aarrrggghhh!!! Creating an index shouldn't be so hard!

From: Dennis Taylor <ismgr_at_pctc.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:29:06 -0700

Well, I must admit to being flummoxed. The nature of this problem guarantees that it'll be easy, and I'll be embarrased. Well, tough. I'm tired of beating my head against the wall.

I'm trying to create a function-based index on a table. Here's what I do:

        default tablespace data

        temporary tablespace temp;

grant CREATE SESSION to sysop;

grant CREATE TABLE to sysop;

grant UNLIMITED TABLESPACE to sysop;

grant CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM to sysop;

grant DROP PUBLIC SYNONYM to sysop;

grant CREATE DATABASE LINK to sysop;

grant CREATE VIEW to sysop;

grant CREATE TRIGGER to sysop;

grant CREATE PROCEDURE to sysop;

connect sysop/password

drop table issuer;

create table issuer (

        ISSUER_ID number(9) primary key,

        ISSUER_NAME varchar(80)

);

create index ISSUER_NAME_IDX on ISSUER (UPPER(ISSUER_NAME));

</smaller></fontfamily>

And here's what I get:

Table created.

create index ISSUER_NAME_IDX on ISSUER (UPPER(ISSUER_NAME))

                                              *

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

(The '*' is actually under the 'I' in 'ISSUER_NAME')

First, the reading of ora-1031 isn't even close to making sense. Then, if it's a privilege problem, I can't find any mention of any privilege that I don't have that I should need.

Please relieve my groggy brain by pointing out the obvious problem so I can go hide under my desk. Thanks.

---

Dennis Taylor

---

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas Received on Wed Oct 04 2000 - 16:29:06 CDT