RE: log file sync and processes

From: Diego Cutrone <dcutrone_at_afip.gov.ar>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:28:59 -0300

Russell, Steve:

    From "YAPP Report Generator"
    "An option to reduce log file sync wait is to decrease processes parameter. The LGWR needs to scan
all processes to find each process that is waiting for the commit to be written."

    I really don't know if LGWR works that way or not. But it makes sense to me, when a process issues a commit, a commit marker is placed in the log buffer and that process signals LGWR process by taking the "redo writting latch" first, to be sure that no other processes has signaled it before...

    After that the LGWR has written all log buffer entries to disk, how does the process (or processes)
 that had issued a commit, know that their entries have been written to disk?

    I think that LGWR has to signal the process (or processes) that had issued that commit? am I right? Please let me know. Thanks.

Hope it helps.
Diego.