Re: Partition questions

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:44:27 -0500

Though I'm late, I'll reply anyway.

We have Partitioning option. It is both a bane and a boon. A bane, because there are many ora-600 problems which revolve around partitioned tables with partitions. Of course they will be fixed in the next patch. I had and have the problems in Oracle 8.0.5 all the way through 8.1.6. The fix is promised in 8.1.7. But it seems everything is promised for 8.1.7.

We do range partitioning. They do speed up queries, if the key can be used to eliminate partitions. Many queries cannot.

If you have a global index, you have a problem when you split or drop partitions. Further, you can't have index partition elimination.

If you have local indexes, queries in which partition elimination can't be done, then Oracle has to touch each of your local partitions.

Space management of partitions can be a challange. It's a lot simpler with locally managed tablespaces or partitions nearly the same size or at least of predictable size.

We don't have a need, yet, for the more exotic types of partitions. ----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Becker <beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 4:17 PM Subject: Partition questions