RE: Informix to Oracle conversion

From: Simpson, Don <don_at_alldata.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:46:20 -0700

I work with Informix. And not afraid to admit it. ;-) I'm just getting started with Oracle and haven't done any conversions yet but I see it pretty much a slam-dunk, excluding stored procedure and trigger rework of course.

You can use Informix's dbaccess, or isql if you have that. Either one is sufficient enough to unload your data to files that Oracle can load from.   unload to "filename"
  select * from tabname
will create a pipe delimited file. You can delimit with anything you want.

dbaccess is the equivalent to sqlplus, only much better in my opinion.

I gotta tell you guys, I feel like I'm selling my sole with a move to Oracle. That saying that you like what you know and hate everything else has it's truth. But I can say now that even after giving me a couple more years on Oracle, I'll still say that Informix is better than Oracle! Oracle has a couple of little things they do better, from what I've seen so far, but I think the only big thing they do better is Marketing! But hey, that's where the bucks are. I'm sold. ;-)

Don.

Author: James Howerton
  INET: jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu

Author: Carle, William T (Bill), NBSO