Re:Way to extract SQL from archived redo logs?

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:39:03 -0400

Diana,

    There are a couple of 3rd party vendors out there who have tools that allow them to read the archived logs and extract the information therein. BTW, 8i has a logminer provided by Oracle. The problem that I see with these 3rd party tools is that Oracle is pretty tight liped about the logs therefore your betting on the vendors experiments on how to interpret the data and that Oracle won't make changes to the logs that invalidate the tool. I understand that the tools work, but!!!

Dick Goulet

Subject: Way to extract SQL from archived redo logs? Author: Diana Duncan <Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com> Date: 9/7/00 7:56 AM

Listers,

A few of our (non-database) people were at a meeting last week, where they were told that a large storage and web-hosting company was using the following method to keep the data in a test database synched with the production database, where the test database had structural differences due to upgrades...

The archived redo logs of the production database are put through a Perl "filter", and the results applied to the test database. The person explaining this referred to the results as SQL. The "filter" presumably mapped old columns to new columns, etc.

Is there a way to extract SQL statements from the archived redo logs? Or am I to assume there was some incredible disconnect in the information here?

Thanks,

Diana Duncan
Database Architect
fileFrenzy.com