RE: RAM Internal Error

From: LGE <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:34:19 -0500

Ajay,

You might also want to check out MetaLink searching with the keywords "FRM-40908" *and* "cache", and, another search with just "FRM-40908".

I agree with Kathe's thoughts on the issues. I have run into the FRM-40908 error probably around 10 times or so. In *every* case, it had to do with Forms attempting to buffer data and problems with the TMP/TEMP directory (being full, not defined, no write privs, etc.). But, I didn't remember ever seeing an error message exactly like yours. A quick search of MetaLink turned up some other issues specific to your error message that *might* not be related to TMP/TEMP directory issues.

There were numerous mentions of bugs and patches. Other issues mentioned were lack of RAM. One thing that appeared in more than a few tech notes, though, was the idea that more records were being posted than were defined for being buffered:

"Set the 'Records Buffered' block property larger than the maximum number of records you expect to be posted without committing. This property is set on
the block property sheet using the Oracle Forms Designer."

The above suggestion was a way to work around particular bug(s), though I only saw one mention of this in a Forms 6.0 Release Notes document related to a bug and a POST-QUERY trigger. You didn't say if records were being posted; but, it might be an avenue worth pursuing. Every time I encountered the FRM-40908 error, it was a TMP/TEMP directory issue such as Kathe mentioned. It appears, though, that there can be other reasons as well. I've never run into them; but, maybe you are bumping into one of them.

Regards and good luck,

L. Elkins

Author: Kathe Newsome
  INET: knewsome_at_centenary.edu