dbstart and Oracle 8.1.6

From: Diana Duncan <Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:29:53 -0400

I encountered something today that may affect others who migrate to 8.1.6 (Solaris 2.7), which I did a few weeks ago:

Our development server went down due to a power outage, and when it came back up the databases did not. I tried to run dbstart (which is called from the /etc/rc2.d) and it claimed that all the databases were warm started without running anything. There is a line in dbstart which checks for the version, and it looked like this:

                if test -f $ORACLE_HOME/bin/svrmgrl; then
                    VERSION=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/svrmgrl command=exit | awk '

/PL\/SQL (Release|Version)/ {substr($3,1,3) ;
print substr($3,1,3)}'` else VERSION="8.2" fi I ran svrmgrl command=exit, and received the following: Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.6.0.0 - Production Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production Server Manager complete.

Notice no line with PL/SQL in it? I had to change the dbstart text to read the following, which I doubt will translate to other versions, but at least will work with the ones I have here. Does anyone have a fix that is more generic?

                if test -f $ORACLE_HOME/bin/svrmgrl; then
                    VERSION=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/svrmgrl command=exit | awk '

/Oracle.* Edition (Release|Version)/ {substr($5,1,3)
; print substr($5,1,3)}'` else VERSION="8.2" fi

Diana Duncan
Database Architect
fileFrenzy.com
diana_at_filefrenzy.com Received on Fri Sep 01 2000 - 10:29:53 CDT