Is the database up? script request

From: Steven Monaghan <MonaghaS_at_mscdirect.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:53:05 -0400

My boss is looking for me to implement a process that will verify that the database and listener are up, and that users can connect to the database. I am a novice shell scripter (Just finished reading Teach Yourself UNIX Shell Programming in 14 Days two weeks ago :) I am developing ksh scripts to perform a bunch of other monitoring tasks as well (check alert log, check # users, next extent fail, etc). Basically, I need to make sure that the connection from the local machine uses the listener (otherwise not a valid test), that I select against a table and that my shell script traps and errors and mails them out.

I'm sure someone has done this already, and any ideas / on-line references / samples would be greatly appreciated,

TIA,
Steve Monaghan

Steven Monaghan
Oracle DBA