Re: DISK configuration - help please.

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:15:06 -0400

You are lucky to have the compliment of disks available to configure. Our = configuration consists of 2 drives RAID1 for the sys and ora volumes. All = the data,temp,rollback,indexes are stored on 5 disks RAID5. The oracle = waits are out of sight 30 - 40 % during the daily load of approx 150000 = rows of data. The queries are acceptable but are unable to be improved = upon because of the limitations created by "one" data drive.=20  Another possible concern is the single point of failure for the RAID5 = dirves and that is the controller card. And data contamination coused by = the controller card is propigated to all the drives in the RAID5 configurat= ion. If the drives are configured to RAID1 then only one of the segments = gets hit as compared to all on the RAID5.   My preference is to spread the segments across as many drives as = possible and controllers as possible.
2bits:
Ron Rogers
DBA OCP
Atl.GA

>>> ATurner_at_concretemedia.com 08/17/00 10:46AM >>>

I am in the process of building two DB servers - one live and the other standby. We are not overly concerned with disk capacity - but rather with speed of access. =20

Our current configuration is=20

primary has 10 disks in RAID 0+1
standby has 6 disks in RAID 5

This is to give us 5 physical devices for production - I think a holdover = of
OFA guidelines. =20

What I am looking for is a bit of advice on the best optin for current configurations. I can add disks to this later. I am also using Veritas = VM
and FS and so can relayout my RAID 5 to RAID 0+1 pretty easily as well. Adding disks to the system is also a breaze.

All of these disks are in one FS mounted to /u01 .. .for easy management = on
our site we elected one mount point and one very expandable FS. =20

I am considering breaking my configuration and going with 8 disks in 0+1 = for
both systems - or going with 10 and 6 but both in 0+1 - I don't think that RAID 5 is a good idea ever - even for a standby system, but there is some pressure to have 5 physical devices and RAID 5 with 6 gives us that too...

Anybody out there willing to throw two cents my way?

thanks!

adam
--=20
Author: Adam Turner
  INET: ATurner_at_concretemedia.com=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 17 2000 - 09:15:06 CDT