Re: Hot Backups...am I off base??

From: Stephen F. Cawley <sfcawley_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:11:37 -0500

Having been a SysAdmim I can see your co-workers point. If you were operating in an environment where disk resources are scarce then I would have to agree with them. In the case you described, the hot backup files are a subset of the full system backup and so are redundant.

If you have enough disk, then I would keep the hot backup available on disk (the best case on a different controller and media from current database files). I do not like having to wait for tape if I need to perform a restore. If you really have a lot of excess disk, I would schedule exports for all application schemas as well (different controller and media as well). Also handy to have in case tragedy strikes.

SC