RE: Installation of Oracle7 on Windows NT

From: Allan Robertson <allan.robertson_at_morse.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:05:10 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_01A2_01BFFE0C.3CF1DE90 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

You have to create the NT services before creating the database.

        name="Creating a new O7 db.txt"

        filename="Creating a new O7 db.txt"

Doc ID: Note:61750.1=20
Folder: =20
Topic: =20
Subject: CREATING A NEW 7.2/7.3 INSTANCE/DATABASE ON WINDOWS NT=20 Creation date: : 28-OCT-1997=20
Last Revision Date: 12-OCT-1998=20
Product: Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition V7=20

PURPOSE
This is a tutorial which explains how to create a 7.2 or 7.3 Oracle instance/database on Microsoft Windows NT

This bulletin gives step-by-step instructions on how to create a 7.2 or = 7.3
Oracle instance/database on Microsoft Windows NT 4.0.

The information here is meant to supplement the following manuals:

   -Enterprise Server:  "Release 7.2 for Windows NT User's Guide",
   -Release 7.3 Getting Started for Windows NT"
   -Workgroup Server:   "Release 7.2 for Windows NT Understanding =
Oracle7
                              Workgroup Server"
   -Release 7.3 for Windows NT - Getting Started"

This document assumes the following:

PART I -- CREATING THE DATABASE initSID.ora: =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

  1. Copy the initORCL.ora file to a file named initTEST.ora. The = default direct ory for the initORCL.ora file is C:\ORANT\DATABASE.
  2. Modify initTEST.ora to contain your new database information by = using a DOS-based editor or NotePad (NOT WordPad or Write) to change the = following parameters:
  3. DB_NAME =3D <NEW SID>

       Example: Change db_name=3Doracle to db_name=3DTEST.

       NOTE:  While the database name and the sid name do not have to
              match, it makes it much easier if they are the same.

   b. CONTROL_FILES =3D =
(C:\ORANT\DATABASE\ctl1TEST.ora,D:\ORACLE\ctl2TEST.ora)

       THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT. If you do not change the = CONTROL_FILES
       parameter the control files of other instance(s) could be = overwritten

       by the new instance which will render the other instance = unusable.

       NOTE:  The control file is an essential part of the instance so
              Oracle recommends that you have multiple control files and
              if possible, they should reside on different physical
              disks.  Following this recommendation gives you a backup
              copies of the control file should they become corrupted.

PART II -- CREATING INSTANCE SERVICES:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Use the GUI version of NT Instance Manager to create the SID, the Services, the Database, and the Data Dictionary. The command line version of NT Instance Manager (ORADIM72 or ORADIM73) does NOT create a new database, it only creates the services.

   NOTE: The GUI NT Instance Manager is located in the Oracle for

          Windows NT Program Group not Instance Manager in Oracle = Enterprise

          Manager.

  1. Opening NT Instance Manager
  2. Left click on the Windows NT START button.
  3. Choose Programs.
  4. Choose Oracle for Windows NT.
  5. Choose NT Instance Manager.
  6. Creating a new instance.
  7. Click on the NEW button.
  8. In the New Instance Window fill-in the following Information:
          SID:                                     A unique 4-character, =
or
                                                   less, name (i.e. =
TEST).
          DBA Authorization Password:              This is the INTERNAL
                                                   password.*
          Confirm DBA Authorization Password:      Same as above.
          (o)  Maximum Number of DBA/Operators:    Change from the =
default of
                                                   5.**
           o) Instance Startup Mode:               Change to Automatic
       c.  Click on the Advanced button and change:
          Database:                                Change to TEST
          (o)  Character Set:                      Change to =
WE8IS08859P1 ***
          NOTES:
          (o) Optional - these items don't HAVE to be changed.
          *   Be sure to remember this password since it will be =
required
              when starting and stopping the database, as well as for
              other DBA activities.
          **  This will allow you to grant up to 5 users the =
SYSDBA/SYSOPER
              roles, so that they can CONNECT AS SYSDBA/SYSOPER without =
knowing
              the database password.  This role is only useful for
              stopping/starting the database from SQL*DBA or Server =
Manager (not
              the Database Administration tools).
          *** US7ASCII is a subset of this character set.

          Any of the options on the advanced page can be changed, such =
as
          the location, size, and number of the redo logs, but for our
          example we are using the defaults.

       d. Click [OK] to exit the advanced options.
       e. Click on [OK] to begin creating the instance/database.

          You will receive a message about the password file indicating =
that
          unless you change the value for REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE, in =
the
          initSID.ora file, to EXCLUSIVE, the password file will not be
          used.  Again, this is only necessary if you will be granting
          SYSDBA or SYSOPER privileges to users so they can =
startup/shutdown
          the database instead of connecting as INTERNAL to perform =
those
          tasks.
      f.  Your cursor will change to "please wait."  This could take a =
few
          minutes as it's dependent upon the size of the files being =
created.
      g.  A message will appear asking you if you want to run the =
necessary
          data dictionary scripts.  You can choose to run the scripts at =
          later time by clicking cancel.

          NOTE:  You MUST run these scripts in order for the database to =
be
                 functional.  CATALOG.SQL and CATPROC.SQL are located in =
the
                 ORANT\RDBMS72\ADMIN or ORANT\RDBMS73\ADMIN directories
                 respectively.  You should run these scripts from =
SQLDBA72 or
                 SVRMGR23 connected as INTERNAL or SYS, not as SYSTEM.
      h.  When the scripts have finished running, you should see the new
          instance listed in NT Instance Manager.
      i. Click on [CLOSE] to exit NT Instance Manager.

   3. Verifying creation of the services.
      a.  Left click the Windows NT/95 Start button.
      b.  Choose Settings.
      c.  Choose Control Panel.
      d.  Double-click the Services icon.
          Scroll down to the Oracle Services and verify that
          OracleServiceTEST  and  OracleStartTEST  services exist.
      e. Click on the Close button to exit the Services applications.

      If the services were not created, create them from the DOS command
      prompt using Oradim7x (where x is the version, 2 for 7.2 or 3 for =
7.3).

      NOTE: Each oradim command below should be typed as one line.

      Open a DOS Command Prompt window.

              oradim7x -new -sid TEST -intpwd ORACLE -startmode AUTO = -pfile

              C:\ORANT\DATANASE\INITTEST.ORA

           oradim7x -delete -sid TEST
           oradim7x -new -sid TEST -intpwd ORACLE -startmode AUTO -pfile
           C:\ORANT\DATANASE\INITTEST.ORA

PART III -- UPDATING THE LISTENER:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Before you can start up or connect to your new instance, you must update = the
listener so that it listens for your new SID. See BUL 13000262.6 = "Adding a
SID to Listener.ora."

PART IV -- STARTING THE DATABASE:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

For Oracle RDBMS Version 7.2, use SQLDBA72; for version 7.3, use = SVRMGR23.

  1. From a DOS Command prompt set your environment variable to the new SID: SET ORACLE_SID=3DTEST
  2. From the same DOS window execute either SQLDBA72 or SVRMGR23.
  3. CONNECT INTERNAL/password

    where password is the DBA authorization password specified when = creating

    the instance in part II, step 1b.

4. STARTUP PFILE=3DC:\ORANT\DATABASE\INITTEST.ORA     The tool should reply:

           ORACLE instance started
           Database mounted
           Database opened
           Total System Global Area ....

    or, if already started, it should reply:

           ORA-01081: Cannot start already running ORACLE - shut it down = first.

PART IV -- SETTING THE DEFAULT INSTANCE (OPTIONAL):

=3D

If this new instance is going to be your primary instance (the instance you work with most often), you can permanently set your environment = variable
in the Registry to default to this sid:

  1. Left click the Windows NT Start button.
  2. Choose RUN.
  3. Choose REGEDT32 and open the HKEY_Local_Machine on Local Machine = window.
  4. Double-click Software.
  5. Choose Oracle.
  6. Scroll down the right hand window and find the Oracle_SID key.

   Change the Oracle_SID key to your new SID (ie. TEST) by = double-clicking on

   the Oracle_SID key in the right hand window. Change the value in the = String

   Editor Window.
7. Exit the registry editor. Your changes are saved automatically.

PART V -- FINAL NOTES:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The previous instructions are to create a very small, basic database. = You
must create your own tablespaces, rollback segments, users, etc. For = Received on Fri Aug 04 2000 - 06:05:10 CDT