Dropping Tablespaces - All Nighter

From: Weerd de E.C. Kirsten <Kirsten.deWeerd_at_Oranjewoud.nl>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:35:56 +0100

Hi,

At this rate, this is gonna take all night ... So any advice as to how speed things up a little would be greatly appreciated ...

I have to remove several tablespaces. The basic steps I use at this moment are :

  1. Make an export of the main user, just in case (He is owner of every object that could be of any importance)
  2. Drop all Tables of this particular user (One of my last resorts to speed things up, don't really know if it helps at all)
  3. Take the tablespace offline and issue a 'Drop tablespace X including contents' This is one that is taking quite some time.
  4. Drop the main user : 'Drop User X Cascade' Another one to stare at for quite a while.
  5. Remove the datafiles on OS-level.

After that it's creating a new TS, with a new main-user and importing etc.

Someone suggested downing the database after dropping the tables, which could speed up dropping both TS and user, but don't know if he's right, or just guessing as I am.

Thanx again for all the help ! Received on Mon Jul 31 2000 - 13:35:56 CDT