Oracle Names: The Valley of Discovery

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:40:08 -0400

I am in the Valley of Discovery with Oracle Names. I'm using 8.1.6 on NT, and I've just configured a new Names server. The names server name is nl1.gennick.org, and the address is (protocol=3Dtcp)(host=3Doranamesrvr0)(port=3D1575). I can start the Names server, and I can define net service names, but for the life of me I can't get "discovery" to work.=20

When I run Net8 Assistant and choose Commands->Discover, I immediately get a message back telling me that no Names Servers could be discovered. I then have the option of plugging in any addresses that I know about. I plug in the one above, and I get a message back telling me that it can't be found.=20

=46rom NAMESCTL, I've tried the REORDER_NS command. After a minute or two, that finishes, but no sdns.ora file is created.=20

I know that the connectivity is working, because I can add the Names server to NAMES.PREFERRED_SERVERS in my sqlnet.ora file and use it for name resolution. But why, why, why, is discovery not working?

Jonathan

p.s. please don't tell me to use OID. That's not an option for me right now.

jonathan_at_gennick.com =20
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Thu Jul 27 2000 - 15:40:08 CDT