RE: Mass updates from one table to another

From: Ramkumar Ganesan <ramkumarg_62_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:14:51 EDT

Create update statements for each row to be updated using an SQL stmt. similar to the following stmt. and spool the output and execute that spooled output.

By splitting the spool file and committing periodically you can control the no. of updates and avoid running out of rollback segment, etc. I use the same funda' when I do not have much time to test update statements. This way is a sure quickie!

Hope this helps.

select 'update tablex set columny = '||tabley.columnz||' where tablex.columnd = '||tablex.columnd||' ;' from tablex, tabley
where ........

Good Luck!
ramkumarg_at_hotmail.com