Mass updates from one table to another

From: Yexley Robert D SSgt AFIT/SCA <Robert.Yexley_at_afit.af.mil>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:00:36 -0400

Hello everyone,

OK, I was hoping this would be a really simple update, and that I could knock it out real quick. After working on it unsuccessfully for three hours now, I'm beginning to worry about whether or not I'm prepared for my upcoming OCP test, heh. I was hoping somebody could help me with the best syntax for making this update.

OK, I have two tables in my database, that really don't need to be separate tables. I have decided to correct that problem, and combine the tables, and then update the resulting table with the data from the previous table. Here is what the two tables originally looked like:

AFITNET_USER_NAME

Name                            Null?    Type
------------------------------- -------- ----
SSAN                            NOT NULL VARCHAR2(11)
LOGIN_NAME                      NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
INPUT_DATE                      NOT NULL DATE
USER_NAME                       NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
USER_UID                                 NUMBER(6)
HOST_ACCNT_CREATED                       VARCHAR2(1)
UPDATE_DATE                              DATE
UPDATE_LOGIN_NAME                        VARCHAR2(30)

AFITNET_USER_NAME_DETAILS
Name                            Null?    Type
------------------------------- -------- ----
SSAN                            NOT NULL VARCHAR2(11)
USER_NAME                       NOT NULL VARCHAR2(10)
BUILDING_CODE                            VARCHAR2(4)
ROOM_CODE                                VARCHAR2(5)
USER_TYPE                                VARCHAR2(1)
CLASS                                    VARCHAR2(10)
PWDEXP_CODE                              VARCHAR2(1)
MONTH                                    VARCHAR2(3)
YEAR                                     VARCHAR2(4)
PWD_EXPIRE_DATE                          DATE
FORM_35_SIGNED                           VARCHAR2(1)
SIGNATURE_DATE                           DATE

I got rid of unused columns from AFITNET_USER_NAME_DETAILS, and put the remaining ones that are used into the AFITNET_USER_NAME table (and added a few that it didn't have before too), and we now have one table that looks like the following:

AFITNET_USER_NAME

Name                            Null?    Type
------------------------------- -------- ----
SSAN                            NOT NULL VARCHAR2(11)
LOGIN_NAME                      NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
INPUT_DATE                      NOT NULL DATE
USER_NAME                       NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
USER_UID                                 NUMBER(6)
HOST_ACCNT_CREATED                       VARCHAR2(1)
UPDATE_DATE                              DATE
UPDATE_LOGIN_NAME                        VARCHAR2(30)
BUILDING_CODE                            VARCHAR2(4)
ROOM_CODE                                VARCHAR2(5)
USER_TYPE                                VARCHAR2(1)
CLASS                                    VARCHAR2(10)
PWDEXP_CODE                              VARCHAR2(1)
PWD_EXPIRE_DATE                          DATE
FORM_35_SIGNED                           VARCHAR2(1)
SIGNATURE_DATE                           DATE
SYSTEM_TYPE_CODE                         VARCHAR2(1)
IA_DUTY_CODE                             VARCHAR2(1)

My problem now is this. I need to get the PWD_EXPIRE_DATE values from the AFITNET_USER_NAME_DETAILS table, into the corresponding column in the updated AFITNET_USER_NAME table, for each common SSAN in that table. I can't seem to figure out the correct syntax to make this work. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SSgt Robert D. Yexley
Air Force Institute of Technology
Applications Services Division (SCA)

-- Oracle Database Programmer/Administrator
-- Configuration Management Officer
-- Microsoft Certified Professional

<)))><

"God who gave us life gave us liberty.
Can the liberties of a nation be secure
when we have removed a conviction
that these liberties are a gift of God?
Indeed I tremble for my country when
I reflect that God is just, that his
justice cannot sleep forever." Received on Fri Jul 21 2000 - 14:00:36 CDT