RE: Explain Plan Hangs. DBA on 3 week holiday, and his name is Mu

From: Patrick Mullen <Patrick.Mullen_at_wfp.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:26:28 +0200

With the extra column removed the explain plan works and the query itself gives results in about 1 minute. The explain plan looks liek a flock of geese.

You say it works fine, does that mean you get an output? If so what is the output? how long does it take to run successfully? What does the explain plan look like for the successful run?

The extra group by will involve extra work for the db and the query will run
faster.

Phil West
Unix Sys Admin and Oracle Financials DBA +44 (0) 20 7623 5222 x5221

I have a query which did nothing over the entire weekend. When I try to see what it is doing the explain plan hangs. So now I understand (I think) why the query does nothing - oracle doesn't even manage to get past the query optimizer or whatever it is that does the query plans.

No errors or anything, it just sits there for days...

Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 running on NT4 sp3.

Removing a single column from the results set changes everything. Though this column is in a table from which other columns are already returned, so it is difficult to understand why it should change the explain plan!!! For example (this is an example the full sql is a bit bigger):

select sum(trans_amt),account_code,rcpt.short_dsc,rcpt.region from glm ,rcpt
where glm.rcpt_code = rcpt.rcpt_code
group by
account_code,rcpt.short_dsc,rcpt.region

wont work, but if I remove rcpt.region from the sql it works fine.

What's the deal here then?. Received on Mon Jul 24 2000 - 08:26:28 CDT