Re: DO I GIVE PROGRAMMERS ORACLE DBA ACCOUNT?

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:29:57 -0400

I would not give out the passwords to SYS or SYSTEM, nor would I give out the DBA role. Generally what I've done in the past is to setup an application user to "own" the application tables, indexes, and other objects. To that user I will grant CREATE TABLE, CREATE VIEW, and whatever else is reasonably necessary. Perhaps I'll even grant CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM. I'll also grant some reasonable amount of quota on some tablespaces. I may then give the password to that account to someone on the developer team who is "responsible" for the schema. For actual development work, I'll give each developer their own user-id.=20

Ask your developers if there are any specific reasons why they need the DBA account. If they don't have any, then they don't have any ammunition to argue with, and you'll be ok. If they do have specific reasons, and assuming that they are reasonable, you may be able to accomodate them in some reasonable fashion that doesn't include giving away the keys to the kingdom.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com =20
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are