RE: DO I GIVE PROGRAMMERS ORACLE DBA ACCOUNT?

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:50:06 -0300

I strongly recommend you DO NOT grant the developers DBA role or SYS.

Instead, grant them SELECT on the dba_ or v$ views they need.

Most developers mean well, but inevitably they are rushed to complete projects and they cut corners. Some developers are downright careless = when
they are in a hurry. In most cases problems will occur because of = mistakes,
or because something was overlooked.

Also with DBA, they can do a tremendous amount of damage to your setup. They can even delete your whole database very quickly. When creating = the
database they can put things in the wrong places, and it will be a = chore to
set things right.

Give them enough leeway that they can get their jobs done without = hassle,
but retain control of your database. Once you give it away you will = never
get it back. You can create a role for them with the privileges they = need,
then revoke it4 once the project is finished. =20

There is a distinction between what people *need* and what people = *want*.

By retaining control of the databases you have an outside view of what = they
are doing, and so are less likely to overlook things.

Will the developers have root or Administrators privileges at the OS = level?
If not, why would they have it at the database level.

If they have root at the OS level, then they are in control of the foundation underlying your database. (It could prove to be a shaky foundation.)

This is my personal opinion as a DBA.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>=20

	Author:=20
	  INET: Donna_M_Vail_at_sd.fisc.navy.mil

	San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists