Shutdown Abort on NT and memory leaks

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:01:34 -0300

I just found something in an old e-mail, is it true that shutdown = aborts on
NT do not release memory properly?

"Oracle on NT Gotchas
Avoid shutdown abort-committed memory is NOT cleaned up."

My old e-mail dated May 11, 2000 says this was originally a comment = made by
Mark Gurry, source:
http://ausoug.org/qld/presentations/gurry090299/sld007.htm=20

I did notice that one of my NT instances generates about a dozen = archived
logs every time the cold backup finishes. Oracle told me it was = because I
was doing a shutdown abort / startup / shutdown normal instead of just shutdown immediate before the cold backup, and this forced Oracle to = perform
crash recovery.

Our UNIX databases don't generate archived logs after restarting, and = we do
the same thing.

We started doing this shutdown abort / startup / shutdown normal = sequence
because Oracle recommended it a year or two ago. In some cases on UNIX = when
there were two or more transactions running at the time as the cold = backup
was scheduled, we had problems.

I wonder if this memory leak problem and crash recovery of the NT = instance
could be related.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>=20 Received on Wed Jul 12 2000 - 09:01:34 CDT