Re: Shutdown Abort on NT and memory leaks

From: Mike Lanteigne <mikel_at_shec.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:01:53 -0500

I've had a client performing a shutdown abort / startup / shutdown normal every night for 18 months, no menory leaks that I know of. 815 nt4 sp 4

Mike

I just found something in an old e-mail, is it true that shutdown aborts on NT do not release memory properly?

"Oracle on NT Gotchas
Avoid shutdown abort-committed memory is NOT cleaned up."

My old e-mail dated May 11, 2000 says this was originally a comment made by Mark Gurry, source:
http://ausoug.org/qld/presentations/gurry090299/sld007.htm

I did notice that one of my NT instances generates about a dozen archived logs every time the cold backup finishes. Oracle told me it was because I was doing a shutdown abort / startup / shutdown normal instead of just shutdown immediate before the cold backup, and this forced Oracle to perform crash recovery.

Our UNIX databases don't generate archived logs after restarting, and we do the same thing.

We started doing this shutdown abort / startup / shutdown normal sequence because Oracle recommended it a year or two ago. In some cases on UNIX when there were two or more transactions running at the time as the cold backup was scheduled, we had problems.

I wonder if this memory leak problem and crash recovery of the NT instance could be related.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca