Slightly off topic: Need info about experiences using 8i Java st

From: Dungey, Barbara <Barbara.Dungey_at_mdx.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:21:06 -0600

We're designing enhancements to our customer web site to offer our professional reference data online.

We are considering using Oracle 8i's Java stored procedures in phase 1 when we redesign our data mastering process and perhaps for phase 2 when we design the web site itself.

Traditionally we've used PL/SQL for versions 7.3.4 and 8.0.5 to master our data in house and distribute it to customer sites on cd-roms.

The ultimate goal is for our web site to use XML to provide our customers with data, but the platform and details have not been agreed upon yet.

In the meantime, the designers have asked me, a dba, for information about Oracle 8i Java stored procedures' viability.

Does anyone have any knowledge about performance, functionalities, etc. that would give us a clue as to whether using the Java stored procedures that we have with our version 8.1.5 for Sun would be a practical solution?

I'm in the process of searching the archives for this topic, but I would welcome your comments. Received on Wed Jul 12 2000 - 20:21:06 CDT