RE: measuring the size of updates

From: Jeffery Stevenson <jeff_at_mpv.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:30:12 -0500

You could invest in a log-reading utility and then you could profile off of the exact update statements that went against the tables (requires money, but then again, your time spent working on this is money as well...it's all a matter of justification). I usually don't get that precise with my calculations for PCTFREE unless there is a problem that wasn't accounted for at design time (like the DB_BLOCK_SIZE being to small for the database needs or application driven denormalizations that require huge amounts of updates to "fill in" data from the application to the database). These are just some things you might want to look into...

Jeffery Stevenson
Chief Database Geek
Medical Present Value, Inc.
Austin, TX