RE: measuring the size of updates

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:15:15 -0300

Thanks.

I like your position title!

: )

Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Jeffery Stevenson [SMTP:jeff_at_mpv.com]
	Sent:	Monday, July 10, 2000 1:38 PM
	To:	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
	Subject:	RE: measuring the size of updates

	You could invest in a log-reading utility and then you could profile
off of
	the exact update statements that went against the tables (requires
money,
	but then again, your time spent working on this is money as
well...it's all
	a matter of justification).  I usually don't get that precise with
my
	calculations for PCTFREE unless there is a problem that wasn't
accounted for
	at design time (like the DB_BLOCK_SIZE being to small for the
database needs
	or application driven denormalizations that require huge amounts of
updates
	to "fill in" data from the application to the database).  These are
just
	some things you might want to look into...

	Jeffery Stevenson
	Chief Database Geek
	Medical Present Value, Inc.
	Austin, TX

	Author: Boivin, Patrice J
	  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

	San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists