Oracle installtion guidelines [NT]

From: O'Neill, Sean <Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:12:14 +0200

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to come up with a set of guidelines for installation of Oracle on our NT servers which in turn will help determine minimum server disk qty requirements. OK, it's a bit of "horses for courses" I'll admit, but I'm looking to develop a basic template which can be bulit upon depending on DB size etc. So hoping that this is not covered in some documentation.... if it is please let me know and I'll RTFM!

What I've come up with so far is:

Disk		Contents					RAID level
----------	-------------------------------	----------
1 		NT Server s/w, Oracle software,	None
		INIT.ORA files, Startup cmd files

2		Control file#1				1
		RB files
		Temp Files
		Online redo logs 1, 2, 3

3		Control file#2				1
		Data files
		On line redo logs (mirror set 1)

4		Control file#3				1
		Index files
		On line redo logs (mirror set 2)

5		Archive logs				1

I'd appreciate feedback any feedback on above but especially re distribution of various file types and RAID levels.
Also if only 4 disks available, RAID aside, which would be best disk to place Archive logs on. Of course if I have some serious ommissions, or plain stupid notions in above please let me know too ;)

Thanks in Advance,
Sean :)

#    #   #    #  #    #  #    #  Rookie
#    #  #######  ######  #    #  Adminstrator
Organon (Ireland) Ltd.
E-mail: sean.oneill_at_organon.ie [subscribed: Digest Mode]

The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything. Received on Mon Jul 03 2000 - 09:12:14 CDT