Re: Strange behaviour of optimizer

From: Andreas Jung <ajung_at_sz-sb.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:40:16 +0200

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 06:43:24AM -0800, Singla, Sanjeev wrote:
> It looks like it is spending time in doing the
> OR operation.
> Are u sure it is OR not AND. Because query does not make any sense to me.
> Logically u should be looking for some document in table MAIN where heading
> and that document exists in TEXT.
> Otherwise both the queries are mutually exclusive

I think the time is spend within the OR operator ...but but .... although when every subquery returns only one row Oracle need very, very long. It should not be a problem for Oracle to OR two value within one second :) The execution plan show that in my Oracle makes a full table scan on the MAIN table (in our case this table is quite large). So the execution for my query is sh*t. I really not interested in workaround but in a reliable Oracle 8i *sigh*

I want to avoid joins because I have to build long query string from a search query with a special query language. *sigh* Also optimizer hints did not help.

Any ideas or comments ? Received on Fri Jun 30 2000 - 12:40:16 CDT