Crash Recovery Procedure

From: David Lee <dba_lee_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:37:33 CDT

Hi List,
I am looking for a recovery procedure so that when the server or database crashes we can overcome the panic mode and get thing back to normal. I know this is a general question because the procedure depends on backup strategies, the environment and availability requirements. But in the meantime I would like to see details. Right now we are a 24 x 7 shop and we take hot backups every night to disk then to tape by the SA. The hardware has been very reliable so we have not had server failures yet. But I need to prepare for the worst. So I want to see what guru DBAs would do in the event of a disk failure or accidentally dropped a production table. One of the things I don't feel comfortable about is things are highly dependent on the SAs. We need to change that.

TIA David