Re: Use of corrupted_rollback_segments parameter

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:38:18 GMT

These parameters should be used ONLY on the instructions of Oracle Support -- yes they can further corrupt your database.

They are used to force the database open when there are rollback segments that are in a corrupted state.. and Oracle cannot do the instance recovery necessary. Because they basically throw away the data in those rollback segments, it is possible for your database to be left (at best) in an inconsistent state.

If you have to use them... it should be done to force open the database so that you can export the data prior to rebuilding the database only. Do not continue to use the database once you have had to force it open....

it's like prying open your front door with a crowbar because you locked your keys in the house and breaking the lock... and then continuing to use the door without replacing the lock.... you ain't gonna like what you find inside one day. :)

Rachel