RE: HP-UX Buffer Cache

From: Adams, Matthew (GEA, 088130) <MATT.ADAMS_at_APPL.GE.COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:11:20 -0400

are you using hfs or jfs file systems?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Bittel [mailto:ebittel_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 10:29 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: HP-UX Buffer Cache

I have a HP9000 server running HP-UX 11.0 with Oracle 8.0.5.

I've been reviewing memory usage stats with my SA. Our server has 2GB of physical memory, with 1GB reserved for the HP-UX buffer cache and 1GB available to users (i.e., Oracle). I've read in the Administrator's Reference manual, that Oracle does not need to use the HP-UX buffer cache if the system is using raw devices. I have been unable to find any good information on how to size the HP-UX buffer cache when using file systems.

Because we're getting a little tight on memory, I'm wondering if it is possible and/or advisable to reduce the size of the HP-UX buffer cache to free up additional memory for user processes. What effect would this have on system and database performance? Any other recommendations or comments on this subject would be appreciated. Received on Fri Jun 23 2000 - 14:11:20 CDT