Re: Oracle 8i dbstart script

From: Rajan Varad G <vrajan_at_hsc.hac.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:05:33 -0700

--------------C6CBE707903CD533C08BA084

dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:

> Don't know if any of you have bumped into this or no, but FYI:
>
> HP9000 L class running Oracle 8.1.6. Our SA uses the dbstart and dbshut scripts
> to start & stop the database for backups, system shutdown, etc... The original
> dbstart script supplied by Oracle did not start up the database. Reason, if you
> look into the script they set a variable called VERSION by invoking svrmgrl with
> the exit command "svrmgrl command=exit" and then parse the results through awk.
> In previous editions they got a line like "PL/SQL Release 8.x". Problem is that
> the svrmgrl that comes with 8.1.6 does not produce that line. Solution is to go
> into the script and change "PL\/SQL (Release" to "Oracle8i (Release". Then all
> works as it should.
>
> Dick Goulet

> INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Dick:
The script dbstart should read like this: if test -f $ORACLE_HOME/bin/svrmgrl; then

                    VERSION=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/svrmgrl command=exit | awk '
                        /JServer (Release|Version)/ {substr($3,1,3) ;
                        print substr($3,1,3)}'`

if this has changed probably you are using 7.x script. Please check this out.

..varad

--------------C6CBE707903CD533C08BA084

 filename="vrajan.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Rajan;Varad
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Hughes Space and Communications;Information Technology adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:varad.rajan_at_hsc.hac.com
title:Technical Staff
note;quoted-printable:Ph: 310-662-5195=0D=0AFax: 310-364-5933 x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Varad Rajan Received on Thu Jun 22 2000 - 15:05:33 CDT