Re: FW: Locally Managed Tablespace Survey

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:28:30 -0700 (PDT)

Kirti,

Yes Sir, you are no the money, my temporary tablespaces were of type "TEMPORARY", which is what I was referring to all the while by the term "true temporary tablespaces". In situations where the temporary tablespace is of type "PERMANENT", then yes I totally agree with your and Chris's observations.

My point with the discussion of "true temporary tablespaces", is that extent allocation is done on an as needed basis based as required by the sorting process. The sort segment just keeps on growing subject to the size of the temporary tablespace. Extent deallocation of the sort segment (which is 1 per true temporary tablespace) is done on instance shutdown. That is how the "sort extent pool" algorithm works. This fact can very easily verified by viewing v$sort_segment and v$sort_usage.

Cheers,

Gaja.

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha | gajav_at_yahoo.com Brio Technology | (972)-304-1170

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Brio Technology"