Re: OFFTOPIC: Should we be learning Teradata?

From: <moneill_at_accubanc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:18:05 -0500

--0__=EVfgVgx1pjI8y7CKrWQTfClNUY1kzLtgFFNJHPn568n0CLhxGRdOQOFk

It just depends what your priorities are. A wider range of skills equates to greater flexibility in the employment you may choose, and a greater depth of skills usually equals more financial reward. It is always good to balance the two to some degree. However if your fear of unemployability is low, and your desire for greater pay is high - continue to specialize.

"Terrian, Thomas" <Thomas.Terrian_at_standardregister.com> on 06/16/2000 08:59:55 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Michael O'Neill/IS/Dallas/AccuBanc)

Subject: OFFTOPIC: Should we be learning Teradata?

My company has recently begun several projects that will use Teradata instead of Oracle. Several of our Oracle DBA's are getting cross trained in Teradata. I have told management that I desire to work only in Oracle and not in Teradata. My reasoning is that there is more than enough for me to learn in Oracle, I am more comfortable focusing on one product rather than being a jack-of-all trades, etc. Bottom line is that each day I don't work as an Oracle DBA I become 'dumber' in Oracle.

Now, as the other DBA's are getting Teradata training and certifications, I am beginning to wonder if I made the right decision.

Any thoughts? Is Teradata growing in popularity? Should I be cross-trained in Oracle and Teradata? What would you do?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Terrian
Oracle DBA
(937) 221-1647
Thomas.Terrian_at_standardregister.com

--0__=EVfgVgx1pjI8y7CKrWQTfClNUY1kzLtgFFNJHPn568n0CLhxGRdOQOFk

        name="att1.unk"

PGVuY29kZWQgY29udGVudCByZW1vdmVkIC0tIGJpbmFyaWVzIG5vdCBhbGxvd2VkIGJ5IExpc3RH dXJ1Pg0KDQo=

--0__=EVfgVgx1pjI8y7CKrWQTfClNUY1kzLtgFFNJHPn568n0CLhxGRdOQOFk--