RE: RES: Converting Oracle Reports to Crystal Reports

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:43:50 -0700

I had the displeasure of Crystal 2 years ago. It's hard and sometimes impossible to use some Oracle specific functions (decode, etc.) and the Crystal functions may not be as good. Tuning queries can really be a challenge. Sometimes it stores intermediate result sets in temp/swap files on the PC and it's hard to know what's getting done on the server vs. the client. And, like you could get the end users to follow SQL coding standards to make sure parsed statements are shared. But hey, it's a point and click tool and we shouldn't have to consider what's going on in the database just as long as the report works and looks nice, right?

Steve Orr

Author: Clebert Duarte Mattos <CMattos_at_americel.com.br>
Date:       6/16/00 10:54 AM

Hi Dick,

I have very little experience with Crystal Reports, and my experience with Oracle Reports are from training classes over five years ago, so I will not go into the subject of which one is good and which is not.

Our company has long ago set Crystal Reports as the reporting tool, end users are well trained on it and (thank god!) they are able to create and execute their own reports. That is the other reason why I won't question which is good and which is not.

We have many projects going on and deadlines are short (usual stuff). One of the projects require a set of over 40 reports, that we were able to loan from another company, only they are written in Oracle Reports. We have two alternatives: either we convert them to Crystal, or we stick with them in Oracle Reports and the company will have to cope with another reporting tool.

If we could find a way to convert them automatically to Crystal, we would spare time and work (a lot of ). At the end, however we will have them in Oracle Reports for two main reasons:

  1. SeagateSoftware has told us this morning that there is no utility to convert a report written in Oracle Report to Crystal;
  2. The consulting team which is involved in the project knows Oracle Reports and have no idea how / what / "when" Crystal works - and they will write the reports. So...

Anyway, thank you for your feedback!

Author: Clebert Duarte Mattos