Opinions needed. JAVA or Perl?

From: Ed Bittel <ebittel_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:26:31 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_021E_01BFD79E.DD9CAB20 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

The main reason I became a DBA is that I like to learn new things and = enjoy the challenge of keeping up with technology. Like you, I am = always striving to deepen my pool of Oracle knowledge. I also like to = maintain a broad and relatively shallow pool of other knowledge to try = to keep an edge in the job market and avoid getting burned out. =20

Since free time is a limited commodity, I'm trying to decide whether I = should concentrate on learning Perl or JAVA in my spare time. I realize = one's personal choice may depend largely on the needs of the shop you = work in and the type of DBA you are (i.e., application or production). = In my case, neither is currently used at my shop, so my main goal is to = improve my marketability as a DBA by developing complementary skills. =

I know enough about Perl and JAVA to realize they aren't substitutes for = each other. Being a practical person, I'm leaning toward Perl as it = seems the more useful, but I keep seeing DBA positions listing JAVA as a = desired skill. Other than administering the JAVA environment in the new = version of Oracle, I don't understand why. I can't imagine many shops = are abandoning PL/SQL stored procedures and packages for JAVA.

I'm hoping to gather some opinions from the list regarding which would = be a better complement to a DBA: JAVA or Perl. If you had to choose one = to learn, which would it be? Why? =20

------=_NextPart_000_021E_01BFD79E.DD9CAB20 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The main reason I became a DBA is that I like to =
learn new=20
things and enjoy the challenge of keeping up with technology.&nbsp; Like = you, I=20
am always striving to deepen my pool of Oracle knowledge.&nbsp; I also = like to=20
maintain a broad and relatively shallow pool of other knowledge to try = to keep=20
an edge in the job market and avoid getting burned out.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Since free time is a limited commodity, I'm trying =
to decide=20
whether I should&nbsp;concentrate on learning Perl or JAVA in = my&nbsp;spare=20
time.&nbsp; <FONT size=3D2>I realize one's personal choice = may&nbsp;depend largely=20
on the&nbsp;needs of&nbsp;the shop you work in and the type of DBA you = are=20
(i.e., application or production).&nbsp; In my case, neither is = currently used=20
at my shop, so my main goal is to improve&nbsp;my marketability as a DBA = by=20
developing&nbsp;complementary skills.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I know enough about Perl and JAVA to =
realize&nbsp;they aren't=20
substitutes for each other.&nbsp; Being a&nbsp;practical person, I'm = leaning=20
toward Perl as it seems the more useful, but I keep seeing DBA positions = listing=20
JAVA as a desired&nbsp;skill.&nbsp; Other than administering the JAVA=20 environment in the new version of Oracle, I don't understand why.&nbsp; = I can't=20
imagine many shops are abandoning PL/SQL stored procedures and packages = for=20
JAVA.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm hoping to gather some opinions from the list =
regarding=20
which would be a better complement to a DBA: JAVA or Perl.&nbsp; =
</FONT><FONT=20

size=3D2>If you had to choose one to learn, which would it be?&nbsp; = Why?&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_021E_01BFD79E.DD9CAB20--