RE: ERROR:ORA-12500: TNS: listener failed to start dedicated

From: Galleri, Mariana <MGalleri_at_uniFON.com.ar>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:02:26 -0300

Hi,

I had the same problem last month with an Oracle 7 database in a Sun Solaris 2.6 server.
In this case the problem was that I had not enought space for swap memory.

This is another case:

Get ORA-12500 "TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process" trying to connect
I'm using 8.1.5 on NT
I can connect locally to my 8.1.5 database using svrmgrl and exp, but not with us/pw_at_orcl. Connect a/b works, connect a/b_at_orcl gives ORA-12500.

It was working fine the past year until I recently shutdown and started the database.

And this may be the solution

  1. Check in the TNSNAMES.ora file ($ORACLE_HOME/network/admin).
  2. Modify the name of your service as -- ORCL.WORLD (This is the culprit mostly. Your service handler may not be having the name appended as .WORLD).
  3. In sqlnet.ora, change the default name as WORLD.

Good luck

Mariana.

Author: James Howerton
  INET: jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu