RE: help unix crashed : solution

From: Gopal, Umesh <ugopal_at_proxicom.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:41:40 -0400

thanks you all;

I booted from the CD,

Here are the steps if anyone faces the same problem:

  1. I entered STOP-A - to get to the 'ok' prompt
  2. I put in the solaris install CD and entered : 'boot cdrom -s' - this boots up the system in single user mode
  3. I edited the /etc/passwd file and and removed the old shell and = replaced it with '/usr/bin/sh'
  4. I ran fsck on the corrupt slices, 'fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7'
  5. I removed the CD and rebooted

Ensure that root does not have a default shell that is on a mounted filesystem.

Thanks
Umesh

Author: Alvarez, Carlos
  INET: CAlvarez_at_uniFON.com.ar
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Thu Jun 15 2000 - 07:41:40 CDT