Try to solve this one! (was Re: Oracle 7.3.4 limitations onNT)

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:11:35 -0700

We were running an NT 4.0 SP5 Oracle 7.3.4.4 instance with ~55GB database = (which included a table with 630+M rows) and 30-40 concurrent sessions. We = are also running another very small dynamic one that gets hit very hard = (hundreds of times a minute) with over 120 sessions. These have been going = over 2 years.

I should note however that we started having trouble with the large one in = late January and continued to have trouble with it until May when we = finally truncated the large tables and moved it over to Novell (out of the = frying pan and into the fire???). We still have no idea what happened. = Neither do Oracle or Microsoft.

It acted as if it were a virus but we could never detect one. The server = would eat itself alive in 3 stages that we were able to detect. System =

files would get deleted, registry keys would get deleted (but NOT corrupt =
the registry), and the server would eventually reboot itself but couldn't =
come back because the kernal files were gone. Sometimes we would lose the =
partitions when reloading and sometimes we wouldn't. No errors whatsoever =
reported by either Oracle or NT. Per Microsoft's orders we turned on all = the special auditing features, but those files got deleted as well!

The instance had run fine for 28 straight days (after being downed for = Y2K) when it crashed the first time. Then it happened every 7-10 days for = a couple months. Then every fews days. Then anywhere from 12 hours to a = few days, sometimes with nobody even in the database. We tried 3 totally = different hardware platforms. All software except a couple drivers were = loaded from CD. Oracle was the only thing on the box.

So any brave DBA care to point me to where to look? We still have the = backups and a full export of the old NT database that we plan to load up = as our "warehouse" server sometime soon, but we need to know what happened = so it doesn't happen again. Did we hit a file limit? The 630+M row table = was a 16GB datafile with a 12GB index datafile.

Michael Ray
CIM Engineer
TRW Marshall Received on Wed Jun 14 2000 - 09:11:35 CDT