Re: migrating to 8.0.6 in a second ORACLE_HOME

From: <Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:46:24 -0700

Ruth,

I've upgraded database numerous time on a lot of machines and live with tons of version in the same machine.

All you need to remember is, when you are connecting to a 806 database with svrmgrl, change your env ORACLE_HOME to the 806 one, when you are connecting to the 805 database with svrmgrl, change your env ORACLE_HOME to the 805 one. Pretty simple.

For sqlplus, you can always set up the tnsnames.ora, so that you don't have to worry about version, and connect straight through NET8.

But rememeber, to start and stop the 806 database with the 806 svrmgrl and vice versa for 805, or else you will have error like Oracle is running, not available etc..

Winnie

"Ruth Gramolini" <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us> on 06/14/2000 09:19:28 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Winnie Liu/HQ/ISC)

Subject: migrating to 8.0.6 in a second ORACLE_HOME

I am going to migrate one of my development databases to 8.0.6. There will be two developement database left in 8.0.5.1. I have a few questions about living in two ORACLE_HOME's.

Once I migrate to the new version, how do I set the environment to the new ORACLE_HOME when I want to use svrmgrl and other tools? I think I use ORAENV but I am not sure how.

If anyone thinks of anything I should know before I take the plunge please let me know.

Ruth B. Gramolini
ORACLE & DB2 DBA
VT Dept. of Taxes
ph# 802.828.5708