Re: Latch contention in 8.1.5

From: Marin Dimitrov <marin_at_sirma.bg>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:46:27 +0300

> I am running Oracle 8.1.5 on Solaris 2.6 with a 2 GB SGA (1.4 GB buffer
> cache). At intermittent times, my misses and waits for my cache buffer
> chains latch goes from 10% to 90% and stays there for 30-40 minutes and
then
> drops again. During this time, my site performance goes way down as
overall
> database waits skyrocket. There doesn't seem to be any coorelation
between
> the spike and extra users, different SQL, etc. I have set
> db_block_lru_latches=2048. Is this too high or low?

it's too high. The docs recommend setting db_block_lru_latches from #CPU x 2 to #CPU x 6
Anywise, I think Oracle would just ignore the value u have already set because it's too high.

    marin

"The important thing for all of us is never look *at* the bars, look *through* them. Because if you keep looking *at* bars, you'll never get anything done, and you'll never have fun in life, any joy."

                                                  William Wharton, "Pride"