RE: Would you allow this?

From: Wasserman, Sara <sjwasserman_at_pscnet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:58:23 -0700

It's just a read-only reporting tool? Is it something like Cognos Impromptu/Powerplay, Oracle Discoverer, Hummingbird BiQuery (or whatever it's called these days)?

These read-only tools are OK to demo against production, although if you have a test/development database to support your production database, that might be a better one for the first try (till you're comfortable with it). What do you mean, it's their database? Is it a database for a third-party vendor, and the same third-party vendor wants to demo their new reporting tool?

If a query goes haywire and eats too many resources, just kill it. If it is read-only, it shouldn't hurt anything or cause corruption. They'll probably need a username/password to connect. Create a read-only user and have them use that. (That's what I've done for our reporting tool). If they're not satisfied with that, and/or want soemthing like system, then you should definitely keep fighting.

HTH,
Sara Wasserman
Eugene, OR