RE: Redo logs on mirrored disks

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:35:44 -0700 (PDT)

Norwood,

Just to add to your comments, I think the biggest benefit of multiplexing redo logs, is that any problems/issues with a member will be documented in the alertSID.log. This however will not occur in the case of when the redo logs are only O-S mirrored. Unless one wears two hats namely that of a DBA and SysAdmin, and/or has access to syslogs (logs of the O-S) and monitor them proactively, multiplexing is a more effective method of managing Oracle's redo logs.

This is because if a member of an O-S mirror fails, there are no alertSID.log entries generated and if errors to syslogs are not proactively monitored, you could find yourself in big trouble when the second member in the O-S mirror also fails. When that happens, you know you have trouble with the redo log disk volumes, but it is too late.

I have had customers who mirrored their redo logs and did not follow up by proactively monitoring their syslogs and had mirrored volume failures. The fun/scary part is that some of the failures went undetected for over 5 weeks (on production databases). The customer was lucky that Mr. Murphy was not around the corner to show his brilliance...;-)

Best Regards,

Gaja.

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha   | 3460 West Bayshore Road,
Manager - Integration      | Palo Alto, CA 94303
& Consulting Services      | gaja_at_brio.com
Global Alliances           | (650)-565-4442
Brio Technology            | www.brio.com

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Brio Technology"