Lost Datafile Recovery - Urgen Help Please

From: Erroba, iIdefonso N <erroba.ildefonso_at_emeryworld.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:42:56 -0000

Listers,

We have a problem with our test master replication database. It lost one of three system tablespace datafile because of a system crash. And to make things worst, the lost system datafile had a similar name in a different filesystem, and the hot backup script did not handle the duplicate and overwrite the backup of the lost datafile with the last datafile with the same filename. I think all previous backup is useless to try to recover this particular datafile, had the lost datafile been the last file added as defined in the controlfile by the file_id, we could have used the backup even with the duplicate. One classic example of Murphy's law. We did fixed the backup script problem, but was a little bit late in deploying it to this box. Still, I tried a recovery by recreating the controlfile excluding the missing system datafile, and applied a number of log files, but the "alter database open resetlogs" step complained of a missing system tablespace datafile. Checked on the ora number, the resolution is to include all system datafiles, which is not an option in our case.

So, I would like to check on the collective knowledge and experience of the list to find a less painful fix, before starting on the last recourse which is to recreate the database, apply all ddls, reload the data from one of the test snapshot sites, define the replication configuration and refresh the snapshot groups.

Environment:

Sun E10K with Solaris 2.6 and Veritas 3.3.2 Oracle 7.3.4.4

Thanks,

Jun Erroba
Oracle DBA
Emery Worldwide Received on Mon Jun 12 2000 - 14:42:56 CDT