Synopsis of a database crash and recovery (or time to bash RAID 5).

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 19:43:17 -0400

This past week, an Oracle Database (v7.3.4 Workgroup) on WinNT Server 4.0 crashed at a remote Client Site. Database running NOARCHIVELOG. Single RAID 5 volume (4 drives), single hardware RAID controller. It was determined that the root cause of the crash was a faulty RAID controller - and that the volume was unavailable for read/write. That's where the problem seemingly started. Okay, not a huge deal yet, as we have 2 options for recovery - last cold backup, or import last full export (executed fresh daily). It turned out that the tape drive had failed weeks earlier - and no backups had been taken in quite some time. Uh oh. Okay, well - we still have the dump file, right? Wrong.
In January this server had a catastrophic failure during a move - and had to be restored from tape.
Backup was made with NTBackup - without backing up the registry. Had to re-install oracle binaries.
Database was restored and online in 4.5 hours after the call was reported - not great, not bad.
What did not take place was the re-scheduling of jobs run by the operating system.
Without the scheduled jobs running - the database had not been shut down before *cold* backups.
So those backups were worthless *hot* backups run without taking tablespaces offline.
Without the scheduled jobs running - the daily export job had not executed.
So the recovery options are from an export from January, before the crash then.
Okay, we'll try to recover the database. Startup mount - no problem. Can view all of the datafiles, status is ONLINE.
Can view the online redo logs - all seem to be fine. Alter database open - ORA-03113 - end of file on communication channel. Core dump.
Attempted to mount and recover database - received mesage that no recovery was needed.
Called oracle support.

Opened a severity 1 TAR.

Support stepped me through attempts to re-open and recover the database. Still ORA-03113.
Got a full backup of all the existing files before they broke out the jackhammer.
After exhausting all options, had to force open the database - which was them corrupted.
I purposely forgot that init parameter used to force it open - I never want to see it again.
Got most of the data out - still some was inaccessible - so recovery was incomplete.
This event cost me more than 2 days of time that I didn't have. Grabbed the compressed export files and imported them into a new instance on my machine at work.
The crashed Server was rebuilt during this time - 2 RAID 1 volumes (new RAID controller) - new OS install.

Running all files on a single RAID 5 volume is extremely bad. Log files and control files most certainly should not be stored on RAID 5 volumes.
Swap space on RAID 5? Are you kidding?
(A well-tuned Oracle Instance won't be using the OS pagefile.sys at all anyway)

As someone else on the list once said: (to summarize)

You're better off running JBOD (just a bunch of drives) that run only RAID 5.
Maybe just mirror your OS and oracle binaries, control files, parameter files.
Have the other drives set up as single drive RAID 0 volumes (or no RAID).
Have a solid backup strategy in place, configure a disaster recovery agent to avoid a bare metal recovery.
If the database is going to be at a remote site, use third party backup utilities for hot backups.
Its not that hard to write the hot backup script - but it is more difficult to restore from a home-grown script than to have a GUI in front of the user that may be performing the recovery. If you wrote the scripts to perform the hot backup - you *will* be performing the recovery.
If its just a pre-configured restore job to run in a tool such as Veritas NT Backup - even a Mac User could run it.

If you get the chance to specify the box - use multiple RAID controllers and DUPLEX across them.
When the machine loses a RAID controller - you can keep running until the new one arrives, without even a hiccup.

I haven't completely sworn off RAID 5 - I think that its a good option compared with running RAID 0 for READ ONLY tablespaces. But for anything that you have to write to - I would have to recommend against it.

As far as recovery options running NOARCHIVELOG - there are 4:

	recover from cold backup
	recover from logical export
	dice.com (dbajobs.com, etc.).
	the 10K tool from Oracle.

My ideal config uses 2 dual-channel RAID controllers, you have 4 I/O channels - 2 internal and 2 external. The newer 5U rack mount storage cabinets can contain up to 14 drives.
Just demand the "extra hardware".
Make sure that the backplanes are split - internal and external. Order the extra cables needed.
Duplex all RAID volumes. Yes, you'll take a slight hit on throughput. Big deal.
One more pair of drives would meet OFA standards (7 vols). Couldn't fit it in this config.
So I put system on volume 0.

Volume	RAID	Drives	Size GB		tablespaces	Stores
0	1	2	8.7		System		OS, Oracle Binaries, Control File1
1	1	2	8.7				4 online redo_logs, archlogs, export files
2	1	2	8.7		RBS		control file2
3	1	2	8.7		TEMP		control file3
4	1	2	8.7		INDEX_DATA
5	0+1	4+	17.4		USER_DATA

This config had 6 internal drives, 8 external drives - no hot spares. I like the idea of having a pair of drives that are only writing actively to the redo logs. (except for nightly exports). This keeps the drive heads on the current redo log track - not searching all over the drive for whatever block is asked of it. If the drive heads are already on the right track, 1/10,000th of a second isn't long to wait for a write, compared with a 7 ms avg seek time.
With Ultra 160/m drives these days and 64 bit, 66 MHz PCI buses, access times are the rate-limiting factor - not pure I/O throughput. If you have a write-back cache enabled, its not such an issue - but I'm still a little sceptical to enable that, even with a battery backup on the controller card and a UPS feeding the server.

One more thing - the entire GUI concpt usually lacks the most important thing - a scripted way to reproduce the configuration that you just made. If you are going to re-create from bare metal, you have to be able to reproduce all of your Database's settings. Don't use the GUI NT Resouce Kit scheduler for adding jobs - do it with Received on Sun Jun 11 2000 - 18:43:17 CDT